Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Making Difficult Decisions

My 98 year old mother has excellent blood test results, does not have a walker, sees without glasses, has no hearing aids, and is in good shape for her age.  The down side is that she is having a lot of short term memory problems which are becoming more severe.  She also is rapidly losing weight.

She lives in a very nice retirement community at Lake Forest (Good Sam's) with an apartment overlooking a lake and woods which she loves.  She eats lunch at the facility and has her hair done there every Friday morning without fail.

Today I went to see her and she said she was not feeling well.  She said she is very tired and has shortness of breath.  Her heart doctor told me that her heart is not in good shape and that she will be going through these kind of times.  I have a feeling that she has not been down to lunch because she has not bought her meal tickets.  I also noticed that she had skipped one day of her medicines. 

She loves being independent but I am seeing that something has to be done to ensure that she remembers to eat and take her medicines.  So I am at the point of making difficult decisions.

She could go to assisted living at the same place but I don't think she can afford it.  I could hire someone to give her her medicines each day and check in on her but again money may play a prohibitive role.  I am also changing my house around so that if she has to move in with me I will be ready. 

These kind of decisions are played out everyday in every family.  Now that baby boomers are growing older we will be seeing all of these decisions accelerate.

I have decided to approach this as I always do by "giving it up to God/Spirit" who knows the highest and best solution.  I think something will sort out and the decision will be obvious.  I want what is best for her and have appreciated her presence in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment