Friday, May 11, 2018

Flowers for Sunday

Earlier this week I thought it would be so great to give each woman a flower on Sunday morning to celebrate the feminine side of our nature for Mother's Day.  I went to church on Wednesday (I have Mondays and Tuesdays off) and saw 2 dozen beautiful roses that were still in great shape from the Putting on the Ritz Social Auction Event  that Mabel had bought for the auction.  I called Mabel and asked her if it would be ok to give these out on Sunday if they still looked good and she said yes.

The major challenge as most of you are know is how to keep them from drooping and dying before Sunday.  James Bolgiano said he had been putting water in the vases everyday as he has been amazed at how much water the roses use each day.  Pamela Sybert said to put in aspirins to keep them vibrant so we did that at church.

When I came home, I went straight to Google and it said to clean out the vases with a small amount of bleach and warm soapy water.  Then one thing I did not know is to put the stems in warm water and trim the stems underwater at an angle.  There are all kinds of formulas for what to put in water to keep the roses fresh in the vase but I am using the little packets that come with delivered flowers in the water.

They have 2 more days to go but I am encouraged as they still look beautiful.  If they droop on Sunday morning, I will buy some more on the way to church but I am hopeful they will make it.  Am looking forward to giving a flower to each woman who walks through the door no matter if they are a mother or not. 

The photo which I quickly took below shows the state of the flowers this morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment