Friday, May 4, 2018

The House is Quiet

The plumbers arrived at my house yesterday at 8:30 AM to find the break in my hot water line.  I had been hoping and praying that it would be easily found and not entail the expense and time of digging up my front yard.  My neighbor had been through this and it took almost 3 days and no telling how much money. 

I received good news.  They had found the break close to the hot water heater and after 2 hours they were done.  I was extremely grateful.

And then I realized that the house was unusually quiet.  For years I had been listening to the sound of water heating up in the hot water heater and it was quiet.  I wondered if they had turned on the heat.  I took a hot shower and I realized that the water was heating.  It hit me that for years the sound of heating water meant that I had had a slow leak for years. 

It has been one full day since the repair and I still cannot believe how quiet the house is.  It is wonderful but unusual. 

It is amazing how we acclimate to things such as sound and noises that become part of our "alert system".  My mind still wants me to realize that "there is no noise" with the idea that something is wrong.

Mainly today I am so grateful for hot water and a quick fix to the problem.  I am working on letting myself get used to the blissful sound of silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment