Tuesday, May 22, 2018

1962

I found a small 3 ring binder behind books yesterday as I continue to empty one room in order to get one room dedicated to hobbies and scrapbooks.  I discovered that this was a type of goal book for me put together in 1962.

I had made resolutions for 1962 when I was a sophomore in high school in Falls Church, Virginia.  Below are some of the 14 goals I had:


  • Read the entire Bible
  • Follow the Optimist Creed
  • Write in diary everyday
  • Wake up every morning and tell myself it's going to be a good day---sit down at breakfast table with a smile
Brushing my hair 100 strokes every day made me stop and think about the differences between today and 1962 in terms of how we take care of hair.  Brushing the hair was supposed to spread the oil evenly through the hair.  I have not heard much of that today.  

I was surprised to find that my goals were not that much different in the Vision book I have today. .  My spiritual life was very important to me as a 15 year old as well as being as positive as possible.  

I was curious to see what the Optimist Creed is and found the following online:

The Optimist Creed

Promise Yourself

To be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.

To talk health, happiness and prosperity to every person you meet.

To make all your friends feel that there is something in them.

To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true.

To think only of the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best.

To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.

To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.

To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature you meet a smile.

To give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others.

To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble

No comments:

Post a Comment