Thursday, May 10, 2018

Popularity of HGTV

I first noticed HGTV when I would take my mother to the eye doctor.  In the waiting area there would be a TV tuned to HGTV.  The theme of most of the shows would be the same.  There would be a couple who would take clients to 3 different homes that would be "bargain priced" and meet the future homeowner's budget.  After picking a home, the home improvements would begin and the show would end with a before and after showing of the home which is usually very dramatic..  

I was always intrigued by home price of the homes in various places such as California and New York, etc. which seemed to me astronomical.  Lots of times a young couple with a baby would be contemplating which of the million dollar homes they would like to "improve".   What do these people do for a living? 

In the meantime I noticed that every doctor's office was showing HGTV which makes sense since the shows are interesting and noncontroversial.  One day I noticed that a young couple, Chip and Joanna Gaines were "improving" homes in Waco.  The popularity of this particular program soared.  I think more people could relate to these homes as the prices would often be below $70,000 and the home improvements were more in alignment with the majority of the people in the US.  Chip and Joanna would also showcase Waco and its many attractions and unique town sites.

I was amazed to see Waco become more and more popular as this is the place I often tell people is my "home town" since I lived more years of my growing up there and I graduated from high school in Waco.  When I left Waco, I would tell people my home town is Waco and most people would say they had never heard of it. 

As of yesterday, Waco has been named the No. 2 travel destination for 2018 in TripAdvisor's Travelers' Choice awards for Destinations on the Rise.  I know people are surprised but I think this is totally due to the popularity of HGTV  I think HGTV is popular because it is the program being shown in the doctor's offices everywhere.  People are flocking to Waco to see Chip and Joanna Gaine's store and now restaurant.  

The popularity of this program demonstrates 2 things to me. The first is that people long to get away from controversy that is found on most TV stations.  They can relate to and like ideas for home improvements.  The second is that the show's popularity shows the power of TV to shape people's thoughts and opinions.

Two years ago I offered a social auction event to Magnolia.  Below is a photo of Magnolia Market owned by Chip and Joanna Gaines.




No comments:

Post a Comment