Sunday, May 13, 2018

Red Flowers, White Flowers

When I was growing up in the 1950's, everyone who attended church would either wear a red flower or a white flower.  If your mother was still alive, you would wear a red flower.  If your mother had died, you would wear a white flower.  That tradition passed away a long time ago but the tradition of flowers associated with Mother's Day is still with us.

My mother who is 98 is still here and I feel tremendously blessed. My sister and I visited with her over the weekend to celebrate Mother's Day.  She does not have hearing aids, a walker, etc. and is in good shape physically.  Her only sign of aging is that short term memory is a problem.

People have asked me about her secret of living this long and about 5 years ago I asked her and below are her responses.

1.  How has life changed since you were born?

I was born in 1919 on five acres just outside of Oklahoma City.  We had no indoor plumbing or electricity (both installed later). We had wood burning cooking and heating stoves and kerosene lamps and lanterns for light.  We had no running water but a water well with a windmill and pump.

2.  What do you remember about the depression?

I don't remember the depression affecting us as much because my Dad had a big garden (including a pear and cherry trees).  He also worked at Oklahoma Sash and Door Company and on his way home would sometimes bring old cupcakes.



3.  What sacrifices did you make during World War II?

Certain foods were rationed and we were issued stamps for them such as sugar and silk hose.  And we had to make them last.

4.  Has tithing made a positive difference in your life?

I started tithing the first dime I made and still do and I know it has made a difference as I have always had everything I ever really needed.

5.  How did you discover Unity and what difference did it make in your life?

I came across a Daily Word and liked what it said and subscribed to it.  Then my husband and I went to 11 retreats at Unity Village.  It enriched my life.

6.  To what do you attribute to your good health?

I thank God every morning for my good health, try to eat right most of the time and walk nearly every day.

7.  What advice do you have for us after having lived such a long life?

Remember God is always with us so remember that and we are never alone.  If you get depressed, take a walk and thank God for your blessings.


Ellen Davis, Audrey Arnold (Mother) and my sister, Paula Autrey


No comments:

Post a Comment