Friday, May 18, 2018

Snippets of My Past

I have been working on my days off to move my rooms around where I can have a "scrapbooking" room separate from a guest bedroom.  Everything is in a mess while I am in process.  Part of the process is going through journals that I kept from as far back as 1997.  Also as part of the process of becoming an ordained Unity minister I was required to keep journals.

At night I have set up a work center in my living room where I can watch TV and go through old notebooks.  It is enlightening to read through all the trials and tribulations that I have been through in those years. 

The interesting part for me is that the situations I dealt with at church and in my life are different but in some way they are the same.  There is always going to be group dynamics at work and family.  The names and faces may change but I think we are all challenged with people who are difficult.  The bottom line for most of these people and for ourselves is that we are all looking to be loved and appreciated.

It is poignant to read about my children and grandchildren who were so little when I wrote the journal.  In one journal I describe how my youngest grandson came to my house when he was about 3 years old and explained to me how an engine in a train set puts out smoke and today he will be a junior in college with a major in engineering.  In a description of my very young granddaughter I described how excited she got when describing clothes, etc. and she is that way today.

These journals have reminded me that I can make it through challenges and still be ok.  Life changes throughout the years.  People come and go through death, moves, or attrition but I feel it is important not to give up on ourselves and others.  Loving ourselves and others no matter what happens is the key to remaining happy and healthy.

The starting point of discovering who you are, your gifts, your talents, your dreams, is being comfortable with yourself. Spend time alone. Write in a journal. Take long walks in the woods. Robin S. Sharma

No comments:

Post a Comment