Friday, June 8, 2018

Time Travel in New Mexico

My thoughts are now turning to preparation for the Unity of Denton's social auction event that I am sponsoring on June 22nd.  I am showing the movie Premonition starring Sandra Bullock and it stirs up a lot of questions about our perception of time.

I have been very interested in this subject as I felt like I experienced going forward in time on a trip I made on the way to the Grand Canyon in the early 80's.  I was pulling a tent camper and traveling with my 2 young daughters.  We were going through New Mexico on the way to Arizona.  I was having a high fever due to boils and needed to find a pay phone to make sure my camping spot at the Grand Canyon was confirmed.  I stopped at one place in New Mexico and put in quarters only to find that it was disconnected and I had lost my quarters.

Finally at an intersection coming out of New Mexico I spotted the welcome site of a McDonald's.  Best of all there was a payphone outside the McDonald's.  My daughters, Sharon and Susan, were happy to have an ice cream cone.  I was able to confirm my camping spot and we were on our way.

The next year my husband was able to come with us on the exact same trip.  We were eager to show him the McDonald's where we had found the payphone and had ice cream.  We came to the intersection and there was no McDonald's.  My daughters were very mystified as they remembered very well the intersection.  We were shocked.

As we drove away we began talking about the McDonald's from the last year.  Payphones were not at McDonald's at that time period.  Sharon and Susan said that the help were dressed in purple and the help at other McDonald's were dressed in brown.  A couple of years later McDonalds did have payphones and the help quit wearing brown and began wearing purple.  We came to the conclusion that the McDonald's showed up at the right time to give us the help we needed.  Sharon even wrote a paper about the experience for one of her homework assignments. 




No comments:

Post a Comment