Thursday, June 7, 2018

My Mother and Clouds

If a day is dark and cloudy I know that when I talk with my mother she will be depressed and sad.  She will mention that it is a dark gloomy day.  I was surprised one day to read an article describing this condition as SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder).  There are whole groups of people that get depressed when the weather is dark and overcast.

I have heard it said that in the Northwest where it is overcast and rainy for most of the year the suicide rate is high.  Fortunately I am not as affected by the weather even the hot humid weather of Texas but many people are.

I looked on google and the Mayo Clinic has diagnosed SAD as a medical problem with certain people.  They recommend counseling, a medical exam, special lights that are similar to sunlight, and then the following which is what I would recommend to anyone for anything that is wrong with them.

Mind-body connection
  • Examples of mind-body techniques that some people may choose to try to help cope with SAD include:
    ·         Relaxation techniques such as yoga or tai chi
    ·         Meditation
    ·         Guided imagery
    ·         Music or art therapy





No comments:

Post a Comment