Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Does DNA Predict Our Lives?

For a Christmas gift for Lowell I decided to trace his genealogy on Ancestry.com.  To my amazement I was able to find a lot of information which I put into a 3 ring binder.  In the process I met on Ancestry one of Lowell's "remote twice removed" cousins who not only was into genealogy but taught history at a college.  We met and I showed him my genealogy.  To my surprise he said to remove 1/3rd of it.  I asked him why and he said he had had a DNA test done with a person who was supposed to be related to him and it turned out that they had no DNA in common so he felt like that the whole line of ancestry with this "cousin" was erroneous.  I had never thought about DNA testing before as a confirmation of Ancestry information and wondered about all of it.

DNA on Ancestry is helping adopted people find their long lost relatives and adopted people are finding their birth families.  DNA is helping detectives solve cold cases and other crimes.

DNA is also predicting what challenges you might have with your health. Genetics plays a part in what diseases we inherit.  If we have relatives who have cancer, then we are on alert to watch for symptoms in ourselves.

In doing tests with Ancestry or other DNA sites you can see what countries your family is from.  My sister and I are from Europe and Great Britain.  We are working on getting my mother's DNA done but she has to spit into a tube which is really difficult for her and she has not succeeded to date.

Genetics is a huge topic nowadays.  Psychologists say that they can predict who is a psychopath on an infant by doing brain scans.  If this is true, then is it ethical to work to change that particular part of the brain in the infant so that we do not have killers, etc.?  On another subject twins who are separated at birth often act the same and have the same interests.

So an important question arises about our lives.  Are our lives programmed psychologically, healthwise, etc. by our DNA?

Myrtle Fillmore, cofounder of Unity, had tuberculosis which was said to be genetic.  She was healed by saying an affirmation "“I am a child of God, and therefore I do not inherit sickness.”

I feel that even if DNA plays a huge part in all we do, we still have a spiritual part of us that is not a part of our physical body that can change and heal our bodies, emotions and thinking.  For this reason I think it is vital that we attune to our spiritual self through meditation and prayer.




No comments:

Post a Comment