Wednesday, July 4, 2018

My Most Memorable 4th of July

It is the 4th of July and I know we all have many memories of past celebrations.  I spent many 4th of July holidays in my family's back yard with sparklers that my father purchased before they were banned in the cities.

The most memorable 4th of July was back in the early 1960's when my parents took my sister and I to Washington DC and we watched the official fireworks.   I have never seen such beautiful fireworks.  It was awe inspiring to be in the midst of our national monuments and see the beautiful fireworks illuminating the area.

Another memory took place in Branson, Missouri.  I joined the Chamber of Commerce and the president was responsible for the Branson fireworks.  One year a huge thunderstorm arrived just as the fireworks were scheduled to start and he threw himself on the fireworks to keep them from getting wet.  He could have been seriously injured.

No matter where we are or what we are doing, the 4th allows us a chance to pause to appreciate the many freedoms that we have in this country.  This country is beautiful and I feel that all of us should be grateful to be in a country that allows us to enjoy so many life paths and personal options.  Our happiness is truly up to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment