Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Dealing with Colds in a Spiritual Way

It started out with a cold which went to my throat and before I knew it, I had laryngitis.  When you can't talk, you can think and you are grateful for that.

My illness reminded me of a time in the early 1970's when I was attending Unity of Dallas.  At the time there were 2 ministers.  Dr. Curtis was the senior minister and Marge Kass was the Associate Minister.  I took a lot of classes from Marge and noticed that she was not showing up at church.  Curious I began to try to find out what was wrong with her.  Silence!   I was able to get her phone number and I called her.  She said, "Well, I am just going to tell you flat out that I am sick".  I said what was wrong with just letting people know that you are sick.  She said that in this Unity church no one could connect the words "I am" with sick.  It violated the belief that when you connect the words "I am" with anything negative, it was a wrong belief.  She did not want to be judged by the "thought police" in the church.  Later on I found out that this attitude is termed "absolutism".

I was so surprised.  I knew the logic but I was noticing that when people who knew nothing about Unity principles (visitors) would say I am "sick, broke, not feeling well, etc." people would jump all over them and say "cancel cancel".  The visitors would be extremely surprised because the attitude was not helpful but judgmental.  It felt like they had committed a crime.

 I believe that we should be aware individually of what we are saying but I think people should also be free to express themselves without being judged.  Love uplifts us above the judgmental attitude.  I think it is important for us to accept others even if they don't express the exact phrases we would like to hear.


When you are spiritually connected, you are not looking for occasions to be offended, and you are not judging and labeling others. You are in a state of grace in which you know you are connected to God and thus free from the effects of anyone or anything external to yourself.
Wayne Dyer

3 comments:

  1. I have been seeing the same thing about what I say following I am. If I need to tell someone how I feel, I try to remember to say I am FEELING unwell, or I don't feel good, etc, hoping that is describing my feelings, and not identifying with the sickness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great way to deal with that. Thanks, June, for giving me an idea on how to respond.

      Delete
  2. I also say (when necessary to tell a doctor or nurse) I have been DIAGNOSED WITH atril fribrillation and not I HAVE A Fib, or any other thing I have been diagnosed with. It feels so differently for me to say it that way. I have never accepted it has any power over me, even though my heart beat feels irregular at times.

    ReplyDelete